Monster On Top Of The Bed: Family Resource

Disclaimer: I was sent a review copy, but all opinions are my own. 

My sweet little Tbomb has some irrational fears and strange dreams (I think it is because of his SPD tendencies). Some of this dates back to the days when our home was being tortured by the paranormal- there is some overflow for him, I guess it is the way his brain copes with it. The Mr and I have long tried to find a solution to this, to no avail. We have even tried "monster be gone spray," like seen on Pinterest.

Recently, I was given the opportunity to review a book for him and Kodabug called The Monster On Top of the Bed, by Allen H. Jordan. I accepted this opportunity to review, willing to do anything to help his fears.

From Amazon:
ONCE UPON A TIME there was a little girl named Suzy, who used to jump up and down on her bed having just a great time. This scared a young critter named Karrit who lived under Suzy’s bed. But, Karrit heard Suzy do all sorts of nice things for people, and he wanted her to be his friend. Still, Suzy ate strange things like cakes made out of pans (pancakes) and the toes of toemays (tomatoes) and—he couldn’t believe it—he heard her talk about eating something truly horrendous.

One day Karrit heard Suzy tell her mother that she was lonely and needed a friend. Because of that Karrit decided to visit Suzy, and Suzy got to meet him. At first Suzy was scared of Karrit. After all, he had red, scaly legs, and a blue nose, but he seemed a little scared too. Suzy treated Karrit the way that she would want to be treated if she had gone to his house.

Suzy figured out what was confusing Karrit, and she was sorry to have scared him. She showed him a hotdog (she didn’t eat dogs that were hot) a tomato (she didn’t eat the toes of matoes) and a carrot (she definitely didn’t eat Karrits).

Suzy made Karrit feel that she liked him, and that she wanted him to be happy. Because of that, the two of them played. They kept getting to know each other better until one day they both realized that they didn’t have to be afraid of each other, and that it was a mistake for each of them to think the other was a “monster.” Suzy and Karrit became best friends, and neither was afraid of monsters again.
The book is available in paperback and kindle. The kindle version has pop up text and even reads to littles- how adorable. There is also a CD available that has a fantastically narrated story, in both English and Spanish, and tons of extras, like songs and poems. (I copied the CD onto a card for Tbomb's tablet). Learn more on the website.


My Thoughts: 

The author was so sweet to send us both the book and the CD, and I could not be more impressed. I have tried telling my little guy things like bees are more afraid of him than he is of them, but it didn't work and I never thought to use it with the other stuff like monsters. This book put it into perspective for him and he gets it. 

Now, if something scares him, he'll as me, "is it scared of me mommy?" I love that because this book has opened up learning opportunities every time we turn around and he always asks to read it before bed. 

My favorite part of the book is something that the children can say themselves when they are frightened. I actually hear Tbomb saying this a lot. 



I am completely in love with The Monster On Top Of The Bed. I know that it will be a staple at reading time for years to come. In fact, I think it would be a good donation to organizations like child services, therapy offices, and even for paranormal teams like mine. 

1 comment :

  1. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for this review, and let you know about that I am in the process of creating an on-line course where parents and their children actually use the Monster on Top of the Bed together to write their own book.Perhaps you would like to participate by doing a video? To give you an idea of what this course will be like, take a look at this page, and follow the links on it to see different courses that are now live. http://welearneveryday.com. Also, I'd appreciate it if you would write a post or two on the value of my online courses. This sampler course is free https://www.udemy.com/sampler-write-a-picture-book-kids-of-all-ages/

    ReplyDelete