Southern Charm Sunday: Throwing a Party for Kids


As I mentioned last week, I learned a lot from the Houseparty Fisher-Price Playdate. It was definitely fun, but I realized that I needed to brush up on my event planning skills. I love planning parties, so I thought I would share some tips with you. A lot of these tips are adapted from things I would do with adult parties.


1. Make sure you have plenty of toys and activities for the children. Their attention spans are pretty short.

2. Make sure the food and activities are age appropriate. Also remember this for children in other age groups that may be attending (such as: siblings, cousins, guests' siblings)

3. Organize and plan- things will go more smoothly. When I am planning a party of any kind, I keep a notebook with me all the time in case I think of something when I'm out. List everything and make lists for week of, day before, and day of.

4. Make lists of what you need. At the house party, I forgot CUPS! Luckily, moms of toddlers always have sippy cups.

5. Have a box of "might need" items. I used to do this all the time, but include items like allergy-free foods, first aid kit, wipes, stain remover, hand sanitizer, ice packs, extra shirts, b be needed. It is a good idea to do this, even if your party is at home.

6. If working with a theme, make sure it is something your child will really enjoy. They will be excited and get the other kids excited.

7. If your children are old enough, let them help with the preparations. If not, let them think they are. While setting up for the house party play date, I let the prince "put together" toys. He thought he was helping, he was having fun, being entertained, and kept him busy while we were setting up.

8. Include something for the adults. It can be special snacks, a quiet place to visit, or a craft station to man. If you need help with the activities, ask- I am sure someone will step up.

9. Be a good host/ hostess. This really should be number one, but I want you to realize how important this is, so I am leaving it near the end. If you are a good host, make sure everyone is having fun, make them comfortable, and put on your most welcoming personality, your party will be a success- your guests will be more likely to enjoy themselves a to you, your family, other guests, and your home.

10. Forget expectations and have fun. Enjoy your children and their friends. Your guests will be more relaxed if they see you relaxed and having fun. Besides, its just bad manners to show your guests that you are not enjoying their company.

Those are my top 10 tips for throwing a kids party- what would you add?

No comments :

Post a Comment