Pit Bull Awareness Month

Every day I am faced with someone new bashing something very near and dear to my heart. Pit Bulls have been part of my life for a very long time, and they will always have a place in my heart.


October is Pit Bull Awareness Month, so I couldn't get through the first week without discussing my favorite breed. I have posted about my love, my anger, and my pups.


10 Facts about Pit Bulls

  1. Pit Bulls are often used as therapy dogs. 
  2. Pit Bulls are used in Search and Rescue work. One example of well known SAR Pit Bulls is Kris Crawford and her dogs. Kris and her dogs have helped save the lives of many people during their efforts.http://www.ForPitsSake.org
  3. Pit Bulls are great with kids. They weren't referred to as the "nanny's dog" for nothing that's for sure.
  4. Pit Bulls are not human aggressive.
  5. The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.
  6. Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament Test Society. That's better than the popular Border Collie (a breed who scores 79.6%)
  7. Sgt. Stubby saved a platoon of U.S. soldiers by warning them of a German gas-attack and captured a German spy; this after having been wounded twice in action.
  8. Pit bulls are famously tenacious, whether it's hunting down a rabbit or digging through a fence, this breed loves working hard and pleasing their owners. Unfortunately, an irresponsible or malicious owner can use these same traits of persistence and loyalty for negative goals like fighting.
  9. In 1903 Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson hit the road with a Pit Bull named Bud, who wore goggles, just like his master, to keep the dust from his eyes. Together they made the very first road trip across the US.
  10. The Pit Bull is the only breed to have graced the cover of Life magazine three times.

10 Myths About Pit Bulls
  1. Once they bite down, a pit bull will not let go. You can’t even pry its jaws apart if you kill it.
  2. Pit bulls are genetically bred to kill people.
  3. Pit bulls are not good for anything except dogfighting.
  4. Pit bulls can not be trained or controlled.
  5. Pit bulls are unpredictable; they can turn on anyone, even their owner, at any time.
  6. Pit bulls do not feel pain.
  7. If a pit bull bites down and tastes blood, they will become aggressive and unstoppable.
  8. The Pit Bull’s Brain Never Stops Growing
  9. Pit Bulls Are Not as Intelligent as Other Breeds
  10. Banning pit bulls will help reduce dog bites and fatal attacks.
These myths are absurd and created by the media and those who do not understand the breed. 


I will admit that in the past, I have been guilty of judging a breed based on one experience. When I was 10, I was terrorized by a Dalmatian  For a long time, I was  scared of them all because of one dog. I couldn't understand why anyone would want a dog like that. 

It wasn't until my mom explained to me how some people saw my dogs that I understood what I was doing. At this time, I had a Chow and a Pit Bull/ German Shepard mix puppy. We had a problem with neighbors complaining about them and blaming them for things they didn't do- all because of their breed. I realized what I was doing and got over my fear of Dalmatians. 

Here are some things to consider:

  • 2000-2001 there were 41 fatal dog attacks. Of these, 28 were attacks by a single dog (the other 13 were caused by multiple dogs). Of the 28 single dog attack fatalities: 26 were male, 2 were female. Of the 26 males, 21 were found to be intact (the reproductive status of the remaining 5 male dogs could not be determined). Of the 448 cases of fatal dog attacks from 1965 – 2002, there is NO documented case where a single, neutered, American Pit bull terrier was the cause of a human fatality.
  • At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S
If I accomplish nothing else by this post, I want to change one person's mind about this beautiful, loving, gentle, loyal, and misunderstood breed. If just one person forgets about stereotypes and judges each dog individually, my mission has been accomplished. 


Have a great day and hug a dog!

No comments :

Post a Comment