Keeping Special Needs Children Safe

Yesterday was End World Trafficking day. I have read books about human trafficking before but it wasn't until recently that I realized just how deep it all goes. I've shared some information to my stories. However, I went down the deep dark rabbit hole and learned some things that make it even more disturbing, although that doesn't sound possible. I did not share this stuff because it is so disturbing. I will leave it up to each person to learn that on their own. 

It did get me thinking about my little Snapper. There is so much that she doesn't understand that most kids her age do. She will wander off given the chance, she loves people and never meets a stranger, and she is so very trusting. This makes me worry for her safety. However, because of these traits, there are things we already do that aid in keeping her safe. I want to share some of these with you. They may help keep your child or a child (or special needs adult) safe. 



Note: This isn't just about trafficking. The headlines about trafficking just made me decide to do this post. If you have a special needs child, you understand how challenging this can be. 

1. I do not use my phone while the kids and I are walking around in public. If my husband calls, I park the kids. If I am on the phone, I can't give them my full attention. My son is good at staying close by, but given the chance, my daughter will wander off. 

2. We have harsh consequences. If we are walking across the parking lot or somewhere and one of the kids pulls away from my hand, they know that they lose their tablets for a week with no option of earning it back. We had to start doing this because my daughter was terrified of airplanes and helicopters and if she saw or heard one, she would run blindly, even in a parking lot. It has worked so far. 

3. Snapper has to wear her "in case of emergency" bracelet everywhere. It has on it her name, communication disorder, and mine and her dad's cell phone numbers. If she does wander off, she has that security. 

4. If we are going to be in a crowd (concert, mall, etc), she is on a wrist leash. Yes, she's almost 7, but if it keeps her safe, its what I will continue to do. We still hold hands, but it is a little extra security in a crowded place. 

5. Talk to your kids. It is so easy to let our kids live in bliss. We don't want to ruin the world for them or make them scared. But, it is necessary to talk with our children about safety. Boys and girls and not just about good touches/ bad touches and secrets. Talk to them about what to do if someone grabs them or tries to get them to get in a car. We told ours that while most people are good, there are bad people out there. If someone tries to get them, scream "fire," kick wherever they can, knock things off shelves, make as much noise as possible. We told them not to worry about hurting the person or breaking things- they are saving their own lives and that is more important. We even got them to practice. 

This was a very important talk for my children because they love people and are very trusting. They still are but they have this little bit of information and permission if they are in danger. 

6. Check out the latest technology. There are GPS trackers, kid-specific phones, phones made for people with autism, and even watches that can call in an emergency. If it is in your budget, consider investing. We bought a GPS tracker a couple of years ago, but it was not what it was made out to be. My husband and I have been considering kid phones for them. 


Do you have any tips? As I learn new tactics, I will update this post. Good luck and my prayers are with you. 

1 comment :