Getting Our Home Ready For Dad In Charge: 5 Ways To Prepare

Last year, when my son was in the hospital for a week, things got a little crazy in our home. It was quick and we were in no way prepared. After he was released, I started preparing in case it happened again. Some things cannot be prepared ahead of time, but I've figured that out too. I'm still making changes around the house to help in case dad finds himself wading the waters alone(ish) again. 

Please don't take any of this as my husband isn't involved. That is not the case. I work from home, he does not. I'm also a type-A personality. He is not. Also, he just didn't want to call me with questions while our son was in the hospital. He would, but he would feel bad about it. I've done these things as a way of also helping him cope. That experience shook us both and preparing in case it happens again gives us both a little security. 

Here are some changes I have made that I think will prepare us in case this happens again, or any other number of things that could happen to put us in the same situation. 



1. I wrote a list out of things that would be needed at the hospital. That way, if the doctor sends us, I can stop by the house and grab things. If it is a big emergency and I can't go by the house, I can give the hubby the list and he can bring us things. 

Here are 10 ways to help kids cope in the hospital. Some items here might be good to add to your list. 

2. I also have a list of things to prep ahead of time if I can. I made this list because at a checkup, I was afraid they were going to put him back in the hospital. I prepare a few days of clothing for the other child- I put clothing, hair bows, accessories, and undergarments in a Ziploc bag. I then put a sticky note with what day it is for and which shoes to put with them. This was really handy when miss priss was going to public school and Dad had to get her ready. He also had a note with times he needed to know, what she needed to get on the bus, and school phone numbers. If this happens again, I will make a list of what the other kid needs to leave the house- backpack, mask, water bottle, etc. Everything goes into a basket that he can access easily. I also prep medications for the week. 

3. Stay on top of housework. This may seem like a given. However, sometimes we get behind. One thing that keeps me from getting too far behind these days is knowing what I came home to after Bomb was in the hospital. I was so very behind on laundry. We had been having a lot of family time and I just hadn't done it. I wasn't expecting a hospital stay. My husband had his hands full while I was gone with our daughter. By the time he was released, it was like everything was dirty and took me forever to get caught up. Now, every time I get behind on laundry, I think about that and get caught up again. 

4. Organized a kid shelf. This not only makes it easier for him but for me too. The kids' special dishes, lunch box items, snacks, drinks, and medications all go on the shelf (my kids don't mess with meds, but if yours do, take that into consideration). Everything is labeled. Two large baskets have snacks- one is labeled "help yourself" and the other "ask first." Anything with sugar or that has to be cooked (popcorn) is in the ask first bin. Everything else, they can help themselves to. However, they still have to ask if they can have a snack because we don't want to fill up before meals. We don't limit snacks though- just make sure we have healthy-ish options. 

Medication baskets are- weekly meds (has everything I need to set meds up for the week and their weekly pill containers), Kid meds (Tylenol, Benedryl, ibuprofen, stomach meds, pain relief cream, etc). There is also a plastic shoebox with medications for when they are sick, as well as the extra stock of other medications. I really need to size this one up. 

Also on this shelf is our "sub folder" for school with review work that can keep life a little normal. I can grab some for the kid that needs it and dad can hand out work to keep our other one on track and give some normalcy to life. It also has a bible for quick reference, the home inhaler pouch (inhalers are always in hot pink bags for easy spotting), nightly reading, and soups and sodas for sick kids. 

5. I try to keep a few freezer meals on hand that the hubby can just throw in the oven and cook for him and the little. Yes, he is perfectly capable of cooking for them, but if I can do something simple to help out, why not?! Also, I try now to make sure that we stay up on stocking the freezer and pantry. We don't want to run out of everything. 


A note from me on this: 

Most of these things actually benefit my anxiety more than anything. My husband is perfectly capable. When something like a child in the hospital happens, it throws everything off and no one is on top of their game. It also created new anxiety in me. I worry now and doing things like this helps me to not worry so much and if it does happen again, my husband will feel more in control. He felt helpless with Bomb in the hospital. 

1 comment :