50+ Hobby Ideas For Kids

My kids both have birthdays coming up. Both of them are in September, so I start about now planning out the birthdays so I'm not rushing to get both done. I casually asked what they were wanting for their birthdays. Well, I was really curious because they haven't been anywhere and they only watch DVDs, so they never see commercials. I really had no idea what they would want. They honestly don't ask for much and have a ton of toys. Everything they mentioned was toys but they had a hard time really coming up with stuff- besides a general idea of unicorns, dinosaurs, and doll stuff. Nothing specific. 



That really got me thinking. They are turning 7 and 10. They need hobbies. Something they can grow with and that gives them a creative outlet. They love drawing and making things, but I felt they needed something more specific. There were certain parameters. It couldn't be something we would have to buy a lot of equipment for or that needed a lot of space. I also wanted them to choose something they could do at home and possibly take along for a trip. Another rule- nothing electronic- they already use electronics enough. 

I told them to come up with something they would like to build on. Tbomb decided he wants to learn more about drawing and after talking with Snapper, we decided she would try scrapbooking- she likes to make collages, although she doesn't call them that. Hers will likely be more of a smash book.

The cool thing about hobbies is that children can always learn something new. If it is an outdoor hobby, they can be learning about it when the weather doesn't permit. Your parameters do not have to be the same as ours. 

I decided to share some ideas that I came up with while helping them to decide on something. 

1. Sketching

2. Scrapbooking/ Smash booking 

3. Painting

4. Crochet/ Kitting

5. Sewing

6. Quilting

7. Jewelry Making

8. Coding

9. Playing an instrument

10. Journaling

11. Learning Edible/ Medicinal Plants

12. Survival Skills

13. Learning a sport

14. Lettering/ Calligraphy

15. Wood Burning (if age appropriate)

16. Writing (poetry, short stories, books)

18. Learning about history or countries

19. Reading

20. Knot Tieing

21. Hula Hooping

22. Cross Stitch

23. Gardening

24. Bible Study

25. Macrame

26. Cooking/ Baking

27. Cake Decorating

28. Pen Pal

29. Coloring- some of those pages can take days

30. Word Search/ Cross Words

31. Magic 

32. Geocaching

33. Building Websites/ blogging

34. Hair Styling

35. Photography (start with an old cell phone)

36. Animation

37. Digital Art

38. 3D Models

39. Puzzles

40. Basket Making

41. Fashion Design

42. Origami

43. Learn a language

44. Sculpture

45. Rock/ Gemstone collection and identification

46. Martial Arts

47. Yoga

48. Wood Carving

49. Paper Mache

50. Pottery

51. Duct Tape Crafts

52. Logic Puzzles

53. Rock Art

I will be happy to add to this list as I discover more things!

I spent the day finding things to get them started on their hobbies. I think these are going to be great birthday gifts! Here is what I found. It was all pretty inexpensive- to get us started. If they stick with it, investing will happen I'm sure. (none of these links are affiliate or sponored- just what I bought). 


Sketch Bliss (Five Below)
Darice Storage Box (Amazon)
Art For Kids: Drawing (Amazon)

Just My Style Scrapbook & Cards Kit (Wal-Mart)
Pretty Pens (I'll just pick some up- probably Dollar Tree)
Random Tapes & Supplies

I have things in mind that will be added to their kits after they receive them like their clipboards (they always forget they have), stencils, and other crafting goodies that will add to the experience. 

I'm very excited for this!!



1 comment :