Easy "Homemade" Poptarts

So here's the confession of the day: my kids love pop tarts. I mean really, really love them. We take them on vacation, have them for breakfast in the car, send them for sleepovers, and even eat them for breakfast at home on those days that I choose not to have the breakfast battle.

I know, I'm horrible. I should be cooking a breakfast of eggs, grits, bacon, biscuits, gravy, and whatever else my mom and grandmothers cooked every morning. However, I don't. That will change this year when Snapper starts kindergarten, but for now, the pop tarts work.

A few years back, when Tbomb was being tested for ADHD, we took all the sugar away from the kids (well, all sugar that wasn't natural). What in the world was I going to do for a quick breakfast when we had an early appointment? I was getting peanut butter for Snapper and looked over to an epiphany! No sugar added jams! Holy Moly!

I grabbed some strawberry and apple no sugar added jams, then proceeded to grab their favorite bread (they love that Pepperidge Farm wheat bread that is small), and grabbed some sugar-free icing and some sprinkles. (I know sprinkles are sugar, but they have to have some fun!


Seriously, the only thing that could be easier than this is opening a package of pop tarts!

1. Put jam in the center of the bread
2. Put the top on the sandwich
3. Using a fork, seal the edges
4. Toast it in the oven
5. Spread a little icing on top while it is still hot
6. Do some sprinkling

With the apple jam, you could even sprinkle cinnamon on top. 

Seriously- too easy!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment