Get Organized: Packing For Quick Trips

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to spend an entire day or two trying to pack for two or three days away (read: ever again!). With four of us and the kids needing certain things that other families don't have to worry about, I tend to spend a lot of time making lists, packing, and checking! That no longer happens. Now, I can basically check my list and spend a couple hours gathering and I'm good to go. I have a new routine that makes life much simpler!



Today I am going to share some things with you that I have started doing. These things have really helped me make packing for weekends away quicker. It still takes a while when the trip is longer, but we mostly take weekend trips. We prefer more weekend trips to one or two weeks away- plus with the dogs, it is much easier.

1. I have a specific tote (its a tote and backpack) that I always use when we travel- I even use it for day trips occasionally. Inside this tote, I keep our travel first aid and other travel specific items all the time. I also stuff our duffel inside of it. I keep it on the closet shelf, so I can grab it to pack quickly or to throw things in for a day trip. This has really saved my sanity!

Thirty-One Adventure Backpack
"G" in Teal, Feathers in Silver

2. Because we are huge coffee drinkers, and are not fans of buying snacks at convenience stores and vending machines, we also keep a tote ready with food items. It contains a coffee pot, travel disposable cups (awesome Dixie cups), gingerale and pretzels for my carsick kid (his carsick kit goes in there too), paper plates,  paper towels, salt and pepper, and other items we always need to eat in the hotel room. We generally plan on one or two meals out, but the others in the room. (Afterall, 6 of us travel together and usually a dog!)

Love these Dixie Cups- they eve come with lids!

3. We keep our toiletries packed. We keep travel sizes of all toiletries we use. I even bought a mini spray bottle and keep Koda's detangler in it. When we are packing for our trip, we don't have to worry about toiletries, even perfume is included! When we get home, we replenish anything we use so we are good to go once again! Until recently, I even had a travel hair dryer that I kept ready to go. I do have a travel size straightener that I keep in my makeup case. 


4. I keep a dry erase list in my planner for weekend trips. I can mark out what I don't need for that trip and I make sure that I have everything covered. I don't end up at our destination and realize that I have to go buy a swim vest for the kids because I forgot to pack it. 

This may not work for all families, but it does work for us. What do you do to stay organized for trips?


No comments :

Post a Comment