How To Drink More Water: 10 Tips

I got some not so good news a couple months ago. I had a cardiologist appointment and I wasn't too happy with what he had to say. It scared me a bit. Basically, If I don't lose weight (and do it the right way), I will go into diastolic heart failure. Who wants to hear that. With a 4-year-old and a 7-year-old, that really scared me. I want to be around to see them drive, graduate, have a career, get married, have kids, and everything in between.

I'm not in a position at the moment to make drastic changes, but I believe small changes will make a big difference. I'm trying to eat breakfast, drink water, and eat kid-sized portions. I have to still cook what my family will eat. Drinking water is easier said than done when it is not a habit. I wanted to share some things that are helping me.


1. Write it down. Either in a planner, on a calendar, or on a sticky note somewhere you look a lot, write down how many cups of water is your goal. 

2. Get a pretty water bottle that you want to use. I have 3
  • A Tervis I use most days and carry with me every where. 
  • A metal insulated one for when I'm going to be gone all day- it holds 40 ounces, so that is a good chunk of my daily goal and I can refill it
  • I also have an insulated cup with times marked on it. I don't use it a lot, but use it if I have been struggling with the water. It's just not pretty. 

3. Drink one glass of water for every glass of other drink you have (coffee, tea, juice, etc)

4. Drink a cup of water every time you use the restroom.

5. Keep a cup (an actual 8 oz. cup) by your refrigerator and when you walk by, get a cup. You will be surprised how quickly it adds up.

6. Reward yourself- don't have that soda or latte if you are not on track with your water. Better yet, have a soda when you are finished for the day.

7. Try adding fruit and herbs to your water. Also, try adding juice or a sports drink for more goodness.

8. Drink a glass of water before each meal.

9. Instead of drinking soda, drink sparkling water.

10. The thing that works the best for me is keeping water with me all the time- even beside my coffee cup. Then, I drink it because it is in front of me, it reminds me, and it kind of guilts me into drinking it.

No comments :

Post a Comment