Homeschool Changes

In the last couple of years, our family has been through several "seasons." The season we are in now requires a slower pace, more time together, and more focus on school. This is such a wonderful time with our children (now 10 and 13). I love watching them grow into the young man and woman they will be and love seeing their faces light up when they learn something. 

We've been doing a lot of diving deeper in our studies and learning to do research and organizing that research. We have also switched up and added Classical Conversations Foundations to our rhythm. We're doing it a little differently though and my kids are not new to school, but we are starting with Foundations anyway. We are having a lot of fun with CC and it is guiding the bulk of our learning. 

However, I am supplementing grammar, math, and even social studies with books from my favorite publisher, Carson-Dellosa. 

This year, we are doing something a little different with math. I decided to take us all back to the beginning together and start over. Last year, they seemed to be struggling with some concepts, so I needed to do something to make sure they have a good foundation in math. We're starting with grade 1 and working up through the math at our own pace and the kids are doing brilliantly.  I'm using several different books from Carson-Dellosa to do this, as well of some of my favorite manipulatives. 

Homeworkbooks Beginning Math Grade 1 is where we started. The kids are working through this one very quickly- with it, I'm just making sure they have these basic concepts down. 



More Minute Math Drills Grades 1-3 is up next and I like the idea of getting them to do facts quicker. I know its something that comes with practice, but I also see the importance of math drills in education. 


Math Practice Workbook Grade 2 is what we are working on together. There are 4 problems each day and then a longer assessment for Friday. I let the kids do what they can and I check their work and we solve the problems together. They don't get bored with this because it isn't a bunch of repetitive work, which they do not do well with and it is really fun to solve the problems together. 



When we reach our halfway mark in school this year (or possibly before), I will evaluate where we are and how they are doing. We might take another route or stick with this math structure, but right now, this is perfect. 

I'm also a huge fan of the series from Carson-Dellosa that is Be Clever Wherever. The items are wonderful and so very useful. We use a lot of the tool box items each day. We are also huge fans of their other cut outs and manipulatives, especially the Judy Clock.



No comments :

Post a Comment