Packing Lunches: Tips From A Homeschool Mom

One thing I do to set my family up for success during the day is handle food the night before. Like everyone else, I know what is for dinner the night before. I take this a little further and plan/ prep breakfast the night before so that I'm not struggling in the morning. 

I've also started making "lunch bowls," as the kids call them. We have "snack bowls" as well. The best part of this is that no matter when the kids get hungry or what we are doing, they can eat. We've only had a couple of days that they needed an extra snack, so it works really well. 


Each night, I was their water bottles so they are ready for the next day. The first thing they do when coming into the kitchen each morning is fill their water bottles. Their snack bowls have 2 sections that screw together or can be used separately. I put a sweet snack in one section and a salty one in the other section (sometimes they mix them). If they have a snack in the refrigerator or freezer, I use a dry erase marker and write it on the clear lid of the snack bowl- they think that is hilarious- mom writing on things. 


I also make sure they have gum hanging on their water bottles because it does calm them and help them relax throughout the day. Their lunch bowls contain everything they need at lunchtime. If we do lunch outside, they just need to grab it. If we go to the park, I just put them in a cooler. 

I could have gotten an all-in-one box, but it wouldn't have met our needs- I needed to be able to put a drink inside as well. Their lunches are never anything fancy- just normal lunch things or leftovers. It only takes about 10 minutes to get the lunches, snacks, and water bottles ready. 

Each day, I include peanut butter (snapper is limited and knows that's all she gets in a day, but she can have it when she wants it), snapper salt, tbomb hot sauce, Gatorade or tea, a fruit or fruit product, and then a typical lunch. They do not always eat it all, but they have plenty of choices and plenty to eat. 


The products I use: 

Bentology bowls (clear with wraps in them)
Dip containers (not shown)
Folding Spoons in case (not shown)


This really is how I keep mealtime during the day organized. Otherwise, I seem to be scrambling all day long. 

Would you like to see more of what I put in these?




No comments :

Post a Comment