5 Tips For A Smoother Homeschool Day

We are in full swing for our homeschool this year. I now have a 7th grader and a 4th grader. I cannot believe I have been homeschooling for about 10 years (we did a couple years of preschool). Over the years, I have found some wonderful successes and sometimes I have failed miserably. There are things that I have implemented over the years that I always do. 



I'm going to share these 5 things that make my days go smoother. 

1. I pack lunches and snacks the night before (I'll share more on this later). I even included Gatorade to
drink. Between the lunch boxes and snack bowls, they have enough for a whole day. I even get water bottles washed and ready to go. 



2. Alone time. I take 30 minutes first thing every morning with no sound. This means I am left completely alone to drink my coffee, look at my planner, and see the direction the day will go. This grounds me. Also, if I start out with a crazy morning or a loud morning, my day is doomed and I won't function well at all. 


3. Just like kids that go to school away from home, my children must ready themselves the night before. They must make sure their supplies are ready, that their room is tolerable, and clothes are ready for a new day. It makes a difference with all kids. 


4. Make changes when needed. If a routine, curriculum, organizational system, or supply isn't working- don't keep fighting with it. Look for something better. Me carrying all of our supplies in my tote was no longer working- now the kids carry their own supplies. We have switched curriculum in the middle of the year before and completely revamped routines. You don't have to wait for a new year. 



5. Give yourself GRACE. This is something I'm not very good at, but I'm blessed to be surrounded by people who remind me to give myself grace. Some day you are not going to be able to keep the kids on track, some lessons are going to fail, you may get behind. The good news is that it's okay- that's the beauty of homeschooling. Go with the flow and give yourself a break. 



No comments :

Post a Comment