5-Minute DIY: "Friday Jar" For Homeschoolers


I came up with this concept a few years back. I was trying to get my school week wrapped up, paperwork done, and prepared for the next week so that we could enjoy the weekend as a family. It was only going to take me about an hour to do everything, but the kids were just not having it. Every couple minutes they were yelling for me, bored, or needing something. I found myself wishing I had more work prepared for them, but also not wanting more work for myself each week.

I found the solution- our "Friday Jar"


This may be one of the simplest things I have ever done and it lasts all year. I just refresh it at the beginning of the year and then again at Christmas time.

All you need is popsicle sticks- I just had colored ones on hand- and a plastic jar, I used a small Duke's jar.

Start with about 20 sticks and write different activities that your children can do on their own and even get the materials needed on their own, if possible. When it is time to wrap up your school week, get them to choose one or more sticks and do the activities- bonus points if they are fun and the kids do not think of it as school work. This would also be a great way to do assessments and spelling tests.

No comments :

Post a Comment