DIY: Boy 18-Inch Doll

I have shared before how much snapper loves her Ally (See evidence below)


A post shared by Cari | Chief This Handler💭 (@cari_on) on

Not long after Snapper got Ally (the actual name is Abby, from Springfield), Tbomb wanted a friend to do things with too. I didn't put much thought into it and thought if I found a boy on sale, I'd get it.

I was walking through a thrift store looking for things to craft with when something in the toy section caught my eye- I saw the hair first and made a bee-line for it. What I found was a Journey Girls doll that was in pretty good shape (except the mess of hair). It was marked $4.50. I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but had to have it. Standing in the check-out, I remembered that Tbomb wanted a doll too and this one has dark hair and a darker skin tone, just like my beautiful son! I knew I would figure out how to make it a boy for him.

I wish I had taken a "before" picture. The doll had curly hair and it was a total mess. Other than that, it was in perfect shape.


It was a fairly easy transformation.

1. I sprayed the entire thing with Lysol and sat it in the sun for a day to make sure all germs were gon (this is something I do with all things found at thrift stores)

2. I cut the dolls hair. This wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it wasn't too difficult. I cut the length off and then styled it like my father-in-law's. Tbomb's hair is kept pretty short, but cutting these dolls' hair short won't work that well, so it needs to still have a little length.

3. I used eyebrow scissors to cut the eyelashes a little shorter.

4. The makeup was pretty easy to remove. I used cotton balls and q-tips with acetone to remove the lipstick, eye shadow, and blush.

5. Then, I washed all plastic parts of the doll with a rag and soap. (I waited until this step so that the acetone would be washed off as well).

6. I used a brown sharpie to place freckles similar to Tbomb's freckles

7. Clothing and accessories time! This was some fun shopping.

Clothing and Accessories:

Finding accessories and clothing for his doll was not as easy as I thought it would be, but not impossible. First, I headed to Amazon. I found a girl scout uniform with pants- perfect boy cargo pants, blue button down shirt, and I turned the sash into a quiver for a bow and arrow set I found on eBay.

Then, I found an outfit on Amazon that was a pair of jeans, white t-shirt, and peace sign shirt. Looking through things we already had, Tbomb took shorts off of another doll and put them on his doll, Peter Parker (yep, still obsessed with Spiderman). While I was at Amazon, I found black sneakers, a blue backpack, and a few other things.

I went to Wal-Mart and found some black army boots in their "My Life As" section that work perfectly for a boy doll (they do have some accessories and clothing for boy dolls now)

On eBay, I found the bow and arrow set, a camera, and a bible. At dollar tree, I found play sets that had walkie-talkies, binoculars, a stuffed dog, and a few other things that were perfectly doll sized, and perfect for my little boy's new friend. Of course, snapper had some new accessories along the way as well.


No comments :

Post a Comment