Mom Approved: I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD

When Loving Healing Press asked me to review I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD, I couldn't say no. We have decided to home school our little prince, but I still want him to learn some of the things besides basic education that he would learn in public school. I want to shelter him from the evil that is continuously showing up in schools, not from people who are different from him. I saw I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD as a learning resource for him. Just like learning about a different place, books teach amazing things.


Chynna Laird was inspired by her daughter to write I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD. Chynna not only wanted to write this book to help her daughter deal with the emotions that came with Sensory Processing Disorder, but wanted to help the children around her understand it as well. This book is an amazing resource for teachers and parents. Its not always easy to put other's emotions into words, or describe how people feel. Also, children cannot always put these things into perspective for others. 



When I was in college, I was a teacher's aid at a day care. One of the children had SPD. I had no idea what this was and researched it to help me help this child. I never found anything like this. If I had this book at the time, I am sure I could have understood him better and helped him. 

As parents, we can never predict who will be in the class with our children, or who they will make friends with. It is a good idea to learn something about disorders that occur in children so that we can help ours connect and understand the world around them. 

The book teaches children what SPD is, and how it effects those with the disorder. It also helps children who have been diagnosed learn to communicate their feelings. SPD can make children not like being touched, not like certain sounds, tastes, and smells. But, this book can teach children to communicate these feelings and understand that its okay. 

I think I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD can do more than just help understand the disorder. It can also help other children learn to cope with their feelings. Children have to learn to communicate in ways besides screaming and throwing a tantrum. This book can be implemented to help them tell us why they get so upset. 

The book also includes teacher and parent resources at the back with fun activities to further the lessons in the book. I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD would be an amazing resource for any library, classroom, or home. 

Loving Healing Press is offering an additional copy of I'm Not Weird, I Have SPD to my readers. To win it, just comment below and I will draw a name. Let me know why you would like a copy of this book!

A winner will be chosen Friday, August 3, 2012

Disclaimer: I have been given a copy of this book to review. All opinions are my own.

Note: This contest is over. The winner is.... April. I wish I had one for everyone! Good luck next time. 

4 comments :

  1. I teach special ed and have twins who have sensory issues and this would be a great book to add to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your book give aways, such an awesome idea! If i won this book i would give it to a wonderful woman i work with who has an special needs son and works with many others like him. It would be great for all her endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet! Thanks for visiting and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this. This sounds like a great resource.

    ReplyDelete