40

Today is my 40th birthday. I'm camping with my family, so I'm going to make this post short-ish. I just wanted to share 5 things I've realized in the last year that I will be doing more of in the future. 


This picture was taken about 6 years ago. It is one of my favorites. I was still growing my hair out after shaving it off when my MIL lost hers to chemo. My fearless youngest had climbed up to the top of the play place and couldn't figure out how to get back down. Her brother is scared of heights and didn't want to go get her. What does mom do? Goes and gets her. What does granny do? Snap a picture. I'm so grateful for her thinking to do that because I cherish it. 

That leads me to the first thing I've realized. 

1. Be in the pictures. Set up a tripod, give the camera to someone else, hire a photographer for events. How you do it doesn't matter, just get in those pictures with your kids. It doesn't matter what you look like. That smile you have when spending time with your kids makes you beautiful. 

2. Let it go. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? No? Let it go. Very little does matter in the great picture. 

3. Don't worry about posting everything. I know for some of us, it is our job, but there should be just as much time with our kids away from the phone. I've taken the majority of the last year sharing very little because I've been enjoying my kids. I haven't even taken as many pictures as usual. 

4. Stop and kiss your husband. Life gets crazy and we spin around each other. Take a moment, stop, look him in the eye, and kiss him. You'll never regret doing it, but you may regret not doing it. 

5. Tell people how much you love them. My dad died recently and I was so grateful that I never got off the phone or left him without saying "I Love You." Its something I grew up doing, but that doesn't minimize the meaning. Yes, its habit; but its habit because it is true. Even though I always told him, I still worry that he didn't know how I really felt, but at least he knew I loved him. 

You may have thought this was an organizing tips post, but I just wanted to share real-life things I've learned. Hopefully, you have already learned these things and this post is senseless, but if not- trust my words and don't wait. 


No comments :

Post a Comment