Kids and Their Dreams

Growing up, my mom always told me: "If your dreams don't scare you, you aren't dreaming big enough." I really believe that. From a very young age and even though my dreams and goals changed, we would discuss how to accomplish them and what I could do then to work towards those dreams. She would sign me up for certain classes at the camp I went to, find classes at school that would help me, and even go to workshops together that were related to my dreams. 

I try to do the same with my own kids. 


Both of my kids have huge dreams. Snapper is 10 and dreams of being a marine biologist who not only educates people on misunderstood animals like pangolins and invents things to help animals. 

Tbomb is 13 and he dreams of being a paleontologist and adventurer. He wants to travel the world hiking and camping while looking for dinosaur bones and bigfoot. He wants to develop games in his travel time. 

These dreams may seem big, but that's a good thing. Why can't they both accomplish those things? 

I realized that Tbomb only has 5 more summers before he is an adult. He could be hiking the Appalachian trail in just 5 years. That is not that far off. 

I decided that since he will be starting 8th grade this year, we will also be working towards goals. He'll start learning different survival and hiking skills. He's already asked for a Hammock and trekking poles for his birthday in September. He's excited because he can actually try out gear on our property. He can hike all over the place and try things out. 

At the same time, he will be learning first aid, firemaking, shelter building, and whatever else he shows an interest in. This summer, he will be focusing on navigation because he received a nice compass for his watch in his easter basket. 

I'll be happy to share the journey here and hope you follow along. 


No comments :

Post a Comment