Keeping Up With Trends: Tips for Consignment Shopping

When I was pregnant, I was introduced to a whole new way (new to me) of shopping. When I was a newly pregnant woman was about the same time that EVERY retailer in my county decided to stop selling maternity clothes. I could drive an hour and shop, but I wasn't going to do that. I worked A LOT and honestly, just didn't have it in me. I was whining about this to a friend, who quickly told me to go to Mello Trends. Mello Trends is a consignment store in my county. I had never consignment shopped, so I wasn't sure what to expect.


I was greeted by a beautiful happy lady who promptly showed me the maternity section. When I was finished buying some gorgeous clothes, she checked me out. She also told me when new things were put on the floor, talked to me about baby clothes, gave me some maternity advice (the sweet kind), and told me about bringing my own items in. I was hooked!


I have since returned several times to buy things for my little guy, every time leaving with something I absolutely adore. I think my favorite purchase is his bouncy seat. In fact it was because of Sally (the owner) that I bought the bouncy seat. I was looking for a high chair, but couldn't find one that he was big enough for. So, she told me she fed her babies in a bouncy seat when they started eating. It worked brilliantly, and he loved it! 

I actually got a chance to chat it up with Sally and this is what she said:

I discovered consignment/resale thrift stores when I had my kiddos. I fell in love! Keeping the children cute and stylish was just so important to me, I love finding name brand clothing for 50% of the retail price (quite often even more), bargains are just fun and exciting! 
My store has become successful on a number of things. My eye for perfection in selecting items is key. I am super picky bc I AM a thrift store junkie! I only shop resale, I love it. I can pass on too-worn clothing, Walmart and Kmart brands (even tho I love Walmart and Kmart for clothes at some times). I love the dollar finds at those stores, I cant compete with them so I take mall/designer or boutique brands only. 
I suggest to recycle as much as you can, this includes clothing! Clothing is an investment and in this economy we must reuse and preserve at all times. If we spend money on new clothes, we should remember to take great care of those items and make some $$$$ for the new things we want to wear, family included. 
The love of resale shops is growing and I'm proud to be a part of it.


I want to share with you some of the tips I have picked up along the way. These are actually things I have learned shopping Mello Trends and other places. 


  • Be skeptical, not everyone is as conscious of what they are buying for their store as Sally.
  • Remember to buy quality items and mix in trendy things. 
  • Remember what is already in your closet. Don't rebuy things you already own and buy things that will coordinate with items in your closet. 
  • Consignment stores have sales too, watch for these. You can save even more money. 
Here are some of the gorgeous items Mello Trends has in now (be sure to visit their website- http://mellotrends.com)






Its not just clothing and accessory items that can be bought at consignment stores. You can also buy baby/ children items, book bags, furniture, and most anything you can think of. I urge you to go to a consignment store and see what you can find, or go visit Sally! 

Of course, an added benefit is shopping locally and helping out the local economy!

What is your best/ favorite consignment find? Do you have any tips you would like to share? 

Disclaimer: I have not been compensated in any way to write this post. I really enjoy shopping at Mello Trends and wrote this post on my own accord! 

No comments :

Post a Comment