Our DIY Travel Art Kits

 I've had several people ask me about the kids "travel art kits," especially in doctors' offices while we are waiting. Well, they really are very simple. I made them from things we had laying around, but I thought I'd go ahead and share. 



I'll share some ideas of other containers to use as well. 


This is what is in the kits:

1. Melissa & Doug Triangle Crayons

2. Crayola Dry Erase Colored Pencils (I actually broke these to the correct length and then sharpened the rough end)

3. Dry Erase Eraser (The Kids also have dry erase spiral books in their backpacks)

4. Pretty Sticky Notes (I actually got these on clearance at Walmart, but any will do)

5. Mini Gel Pens

6. Multicolored pencil sharpened down



Other things you could include:

1. Mini pencil sharpener

2. Mini notebook

3. Tiny clipboard

4. Washi Tape

5. Stencils (look for party favors)

6. Party Favor sized play-doh


The container I used was from a Hatchimals lip gloss set (yes, both kids got one) and it was a perfect size, but there are so many more options:

1. travel soap dish (perfect size for crayons)

2. sandwich container

3. I've seen some cute ones with DVD cases (then you even have a dry erase cover!)

4. Storage clipboard 

5. I used to use a binder pencil case


Be sure to take a good look around your house for a container- I'm sure you have something that will work!!

I love the kids having these little kits in their backpacks. Why? Well, there are a couple of reasons. Not only do they always have something to do (besides tablets) in their backpacks, but sometimes I have them write or draw something about what we did so I can include it in our school records. 

Another good thing is that if we are doing school on the go, they always have crayons, and even have writing items, in case mom goes ditzy and forgets to pack them. 

They always have their backpacks with them, so no matter where we are, they have these art kits- even if they are spending the night somewhere else, being babysat, or on vacation, they have art materials. 

Plus, the backpacks stay packed, so its one less thing for mom to worry about!

No comments :

Post a Comment