Organized & Ready Travel

Are you as ready as I am to get out of the house? My kids have not left the house in almost 4 months since even before schools closed. They have immune issues, so we have taken all the measures we can. Although we homeschool and I work at home, things are still so strange.

We had to miss 2 major events we had been looking forward to- Jurassic World Live and a Home Free Concert with UVIP tickets. There are other events we had wanted to attend but hadn't gotten around to buying the tickets yet. We've missed treks to the park and the Stumphouse tunnel. We are even going to have to reschedule our yearly trip to the mountains during the first week of June. But you know what? My family is safe, happy, and healthy- that's what counts. Instead of getting down about it, I've been working on making sure we are organized and ready for some trips, even some last-minute ones.

I am a planner and in the past have needed a week to prep for a weekend trip. Well, I've taken steps so that if we decide one night that we will drive to the mountains the next morning for the weekend, I can roll with it. I'm sharing these steps with you!


1. The first thing I learned is to not stress. If I forget something, it's ok. I can run to the store and grab it - even if that is children's Tylenol or diapers. I can get it. It's not the end of the world!

2. Make a list and organize that list. Make a list of everything you need to pack and divide that into which bag it goes into. (kids' backpacks, your tote, or suitcase). Go ahead and include things that usually stay in your kids' backpacks (their adventure backpack) so you can make sure it is still there. Include things you need to pick up from the store like snacks and drinks. Make a list of things you need to do the night before and the morning of. Having lists will make things go more smoothly, help you not forget things, and give you a sense of calm. 

My list is small pages that are tabbed. I have packing, to buy, the night before, the morning of, kids sleepovers, and hospital or emergency (I had to make this list to make me feel better after Tbomb's stay in the hospital.) I have placed the lists in my Happy Planner pocket. I can put whichever tabs I need facing the front and the back and use my wet erase if I choose to. (If I have more time to plan, I do space packing out and have the kids help me- last minute is quick and without kids)

I never could find printables that I liked and that were the right size, so I just drew my own. 





3. Prepare for your next adventure when you return home. If I need to pick up any travel size items or anything else for travel, that I realize on a trip, I will add it to my shopping list when I get home. I pick it up next time I'm at the store and we are ready to go. The only thing we will need to pick up (usually on the way out of town) is some snacks and drinks! I actually use a small utility tote from Thirty-One gifts to put our snacks and drinks in, so that we are not carrying grocery bags- it just makes carrying our stuff in easier. 

4. Make a rule - one trip from the car to the hotel room. This will cut down on items and luggage- especially with just a few days. The kids are responsible for their backpacks and sleeping bags. 

5. I keep a toiletry case packed with our travel-sized toiletries. I keep it all on hand- even spare toothbrushes and hairbrushes and ties. I have travel size of everything that we use. It just makes things easier to not need to pack all of that too. I then just have to throw in my flat iron and we are good to go! 

6. The kids' backpacks are a lifesaver for me. They are ready to go on an adventure always! Their tablet cases have battery packs, charging cables, and headphones- they just slip their tablets in. All they need is their snacks, water bottle, Koda's doll, and they are good to go. I do have a section of things on my packing list of things to add to their backpacks or check to make sure they are there- I don't want a trip with tablets and no headphones! (I will post about their backpacks another time).


7. Pack the whole family's clothes and toiletries in one bag. It makes sharing supplies, packing, unpacking and situating in a hotel room easier. For me, its just the best way to do it. 

8. We all have a "travel bag," the kids have their backpacks, my husband has one for electronics like his switch and tablet as well as chargers, and I have my MOM BAG. 

I usually carry a pretty big purse that is more like a tote (the leopard stripe one at the top) and I just add in the things on my list to it. If I'm not carrying a big purse, I just use a tote for this and add in things out of my purse. I also carry a small crossbody when we are traveling (this is a clear one when we have concerts and events). Then, I don't have to carry my huge purse as we are walking around. 

I always have chargers, my electronics, medications, and carsick fixes in my bag, along with important things like their medical information. 

9. The kids have their cute sleeping bags (mermaid and rocket ship) that they carry along on trips. In the car, they go under their feet with their backpacks. Then, they carry it into the hotel. They like having comforts from home, or they can't sleep, so this solves that problem, along with a lovey! (Koda's doll and usually an action figure for him). 

10.  Have a standing shopping list. We always get the same sandwich and snack items for every trip. I have that list when I run in to get things and we are good to go. Some snacks we only get for travel and it gets the kids excited when they see them. I also always grab pretzels and gingerale for my carsick baby! 

11. Take you time now and get organized. We're all stuck at home anyway. Get organized now for your next big adventure. I have and I'm so glad that I have. 





No comments :

Post a Comment