Celebrate Pi Day With Some Sneaky Math

Disclaimer: I received a book to review. All opinions are my own.

I have a confession to make. I secretly love Pi Day- let's just hope none of my family sees that. Why is that the confession? Well, I'm really not good at math. If you don't call it math (call it Chemistry, building, whatever you want to call it and I'm good). Panic rises in me when I sit down with a MATH problem. I have to kind of trick myself into making it something else. It may not seem logical, but to me it is.

When Cy Timmons offered to send me a copy of his new book Sneaky Math: A Graphic Primer With Projects ($12.99), I knew I had to have it. I knew that I could learn a lot and it would help me teach my children my worst subject. Cy shows us sneaky and simple ways to teach math and make it fun. His projects allow children, teenagers, and adults to turn math into hands-on projects, allowing the math to sink in more and actually become part of us. Sneaky Math is a must have or parents, teachers, homeschooling parents, college professors, and students. This is by far the best math book I have come across and I cannot wait to dive in to these prjects (alone or with the kids).

Cy has also compiled a ton of Pi Day fun for you and your students. Check out the website for printable projects, including a Pi Card, Sneaky Pi Detector, Sneaky Range Finder, Sneaky Fraction Calculator, and a Sneaky Fraction Quiz. There are also links for other Pi Day resources like jokes and gifts to make your day even more fun.

I also want to share with you that the NSTA is offering tons of fun math ideas just in time for Pi Day.

No comments :

Post a Comment