Keeping Kids Engaged During Thanksgiving Dinner

I have such a huge family that growing up, the kids table was usually bigger than the adults table. This was fun, but sometimes got boring. If Thanksgiving dinner was at someone else's house, my mom always brought coloring books along (enough for all the kids). If Thanksgiving was at our house, mom had us set up with crafts, coloring books, and other fun things to keep us busy. Since I have become a mom, I have been intrigued by some of the things moms come up with to keep the kids busy. I will share some of my favorites.


  • My mom always covered our table with wrong side up wrapping paper. It was great because we could write on it, but she didn't have to worry about us messing the table up. Butcher paper will work too! 
  • Create a cardboard tree and let the kids write what they are thankful for on leaves and hang those on the tree that doubles as a centerpiece. 

  • I am absolutely in love with this Thanksgiving placemat for kids- I will definitely use this in the future

  • My mom kept a trunk of board games on hand for all occasions. My own little family has started our collection. I love holiday specific printable games like this one. 
Kid Friendly Thanksgiving Ideas

  • If there aren't a lot of kids at the event, creating a special gift pack that they can use while at the event, is gorgeous, and can be given to the child as a special treat would be perfect. This is one I will do next year. 

  • I'm always a fan of toilet paper roll crafts

  • I love this idea for an educational activity without feeling like school

  • I am loving a photo booth as well!

  • A great idea for something for the kids to do while preparations are being finished is to let them make hats they can wear for the day

  • Turkey crafts are always a win!

What are you doing to keep the kids busy this Thanksgiving?



No comments :

Post a Comment