Why To Color-Coordinate Your Kids' Gear

Whether your kids are homeschooled, public schooled, private schooled, college age, athletes, adventurers, travelers, or gamers, they have gear. I think part of the definition of kids should be "little creature that requires gear." My kids take their backpacks everywhere. That is just part of it- even going for a quick doctor visit, to the store, or to visit family, the backpacks come along. Sometimes they aren't even opened, but they come along.

Since Snapper was born, I have been color-coordinating her and Tbomb's gear, especially those items we take along on adventures. Yes, I'm also a labeller. It has always been something I do to make my life easier. I know who's is who's without having to ask them. Also, they cannot argue over who something belongs to because there is no question.

I didn't realize just how much coordinating their items helps until Snapper started school this past spring. With her going back next month, I'm upping my coordinating game! (Thanks to Stephen Joseph Gifts and their awesome things!)



1. I realized when Snapper started school that it is much easier for her to keep up with her own items when she knows the color or design it is supposed to be. If we always stick with that, she knows which lunchbox is hers, which pencil box is hers, and which jacket is hers. 

2. For a child with special needs, giving them even the smallest amount of independence gives them a wonderful sense of accomplishment. I noticed that with Snapper. She was so proud of herself each day because she didn't need help finding her items. It also helped that her teacher uses a color/shape model for all the kids' items. 

3. When you let your child choose their "theme" or color, it is something they like, so they will keep up with it. Snapper loves bright colors so rainbows are perfect for her. Tbomb's items are always spiderman or camo. They like it, so they are determined to not lose it. 

4. Tip: Choose a common color and stick with it for solid color items. Tbomb is green/ blue and Snapper is pink/ purple. Everything I buy for them is these colors- earbuds, tablet supplies, pencil pouches, all of it. 

5. When teachers and other family members get used to your child's "theme" they will automatically know who the items belong to. Grandparents do not have to call me and ask if it is Snapper's clipboard or Tbomb's earbuds they found on the couch. The grandparents already know who it belongs to (plus, I label "The Georges")

6. Make it across the board with school supplies, adventure gear, sporting supplies, travel, and everything else. Believe me- life will be easier. 

7. When traveling, they know which toiletries, duffel, sleeping bag, and whatever else is theirs without hassle. 

8. Tip: Explain it to the kids, get them in on the process of choosing colors and "themes", and let them have some control. This will go a long way. 

9. Deciding which design to get the kids when I'm picking things up or ordering things are much easier. I decide which goes with their "theme" or color. Plus, we don't have the standing in the store 20 minutes while they choose- which drives me MAD. 

10. All in all, what we are doing is teaching our kids independence and responsibility while making it fun (and pretty). What can be better than that? 

Do you color-coordinate your kids? Do you have any tips?

1 comment :

  1. very nice places and thanks to you for writing about such a nice places.Please also write tax and accounting services on it

    ReplyDelete