Organizing For Next School Year: Planning Your Homeschool Year

Disclosure: I received items to use in this post. All opinions are my own.

By now, I'm sure you have a basic outline of what will be taught in the coming year. You probably have many of your materials. You are probably waiting for a few materials and working out the details of the school year to come. Getting those materials and details worked out can be a daunting task, but staying organized is the key to it all.

Obviously, a to-do list is the first thing you need. This list from Carson-Dellosa is my favorite for planning. It is from the Aim High Line and absolutely adorable. I love this entire line- it just makes me happy!

Sitting down to make out a to-do list is probably one of the most important steps of this process. If you write it down, you will remember to do it and mark it off when you finish. One thing that I really like about this list is that I can organize what I need to do and it isn't jumbled all in one list.

This also works for specific projects and lessons. Say, you are planning a big lesson on place value that is going to take a couple weeks. Put your materials in a file folder or manilla envelope and then staple, tape, or paperclip the list to the front. Then, when you are working on that lesson, you can easily see what needs to be done. You can even change the heading to to-do, print, assemble, research, etc.

I find gathering materials, worksheets, and other items and keeping them organized to be a difficult task in the planning stages. Once it is all planned, everything is organized by week. However, keeping up with it until done is a different story. I have finally found a solution.

Carson-Dellosa Publishing sells these amazing sets that are file folder pockets with the file folders. We are Owl Creek Academy, so I went with the owls set and used zip ties to attach it to our crates that store books. It is hanging right above where our everyday school bag stays, so it is easy to access.

While I am planning school, the folders are organized by 2 admin, 2 Tbomb, 2 Snapper. They each have one folder for lessons and one folder for their workbook. It works great for seeing what I already have and then organizing it into weekly folders in the file bins for each kid.

After school starts, this will be used a little differently- I will put in things I need easy access to, manipulatives, charts, and other items that we need during the school day, but not every day.

This will likely be used as part of our morning time too- easy access to morning work, clocks, and calendars.

Getting organized now will not only help you through the planning process and last prep before school starts, but it will also get you in the habit before school even starts for an amazing and organized school year.

I'd love to hear your tips for getting and staying organized for the school year!

No comments :

Post a Comment