Managing Your Family's Health with Telehealth

Being a mom means that we are always busy and always have a to-do list a mile long. For my family, and probably yours, many of these items are related to doctor visits and dealing with other medical conditions. In addition to this, keeping up with medications, health concerns, doctors, and medical conditions can take a toll on my memory. I have finally found a way to get a little help with this and be more in control at the same time.

The Health Resources Services Administration defines telehealth as the use of electronic information and telecommunications technologies to support long-distance clinical health care, patient and professional health-related education, public health, and health administration. Technologies include video conferencing, the internet, store-and-forward imaging, streaming media, and terrestrial and wireless communications.

I actually use a telehealth service provided by our local hospital. With it, I can refill prescriptions, send doctors an email, check test results, schedule appointments, and even look over-diagnosis and previous conditions. I can also pay bills and so much more. I have the main account and all of the family has a "proxy account" undermine. It has definitely made dealing with our family so much easier for me and saved me a lot of time.

Another benefit of telehealth, that I have not used yet, is online counseling, physical therapy, and even meetings with doctors. There are also services available that allow you to talk with a doctor over video or phone to diagnose a simple illness, or let you know if you need to venture to the hospital, urgent care, or your primary physician.

I have only gotten to the tip of the iceberg with using telehealth with my family, but I am looking forward to using it more and seeing all the benefits that I can use for my family.

No comments :

Post a Comment